Wednesday, February 13, 2008

All It Takes Is 10 Seconds or Less

As a mother of three little boys, I should already know that all it takes is 10 seconds or less for a disaster to take place. But I guess I forgot. Or maybe I thought my boys were beyond that childishness (at 4, 3 and 1?!?!). Whatever happened during my brain lapse this morning doesn't matter. The point is that all it takes is 10 seconds or less for disaster to strike!

Today is garbage day and my dear husband took everything out to the curb, but missed one bag. Since I knew that was the bag that had the remains of the burned pan in it, I wanted it out for sure! I decided to quickly run out to the curb, drop off the bag, and I'd be back before the boys even realized I was gone. At the bottom of the driveway, I heard the boys screaming inside the house and made a mental note to myself that screaming CAN be heard from the street! Before I could get back into the house (remember, this is all in less than 10 seconds!), Stephen was outside on the porch screaming, "Moooommmmmyyyyy!!!! Come see what happened!"

I walked in the front door to see the entire NEW box of Corn Flakes SPRAYED across the entire entry way and kitchen floor. I stood there in disbelief, all kinds of thoughts racing in my brain:
  • How did this happen?!
  • Figures! Stephen has to be out the door in two minutes and he doesn't have any of his snow apparatus on yet.
  • Great! Christopher has his little push toy going nuts over these crunchy flakes!
  • And now he's doing a little dance over the piles because it must feel good or sound fun or whatever!
  • How am I going to clean this all up AND get Stephen dressed and out the door before the bus comes?!

I finally got the truth out of Stephen as to what really happened. He wanted a bowl of Corn Flakes before he left for school so he grabbed the box and came looking for me to ask permission. The last person to use the box (Uh, no names here. The author needs to save a little face.) didn't close the top all the way and Stephen was swinging the box when it opened up and spewed it's contents everywhere.

I'm thankful that I remembered that these little hearts are very impressionable and it WAS an accident and I WAS the one that could have prevented it in the first place. Instead of blowing up at them, I just started laughing and asked, "Can you imagine if it would have been a huge bowl of Corn Flakes with milk already in it?!" Stephen stared at me in disbelief for a brief moment, not sure if he should laugh with me or not. Pretty soon we were all laughing and trying to sweep it up before Christopher could pulverize all the flakes on the floor.

Here's another lesson for me today, I see. Instead of sending my son off to school feeling guilt and anger and frustration for making a mess that got Mommy mad, I sent him off laughing and in a happy mood. Was I really happy about the mess? Absolutely not! But really, it was only dry Corn Flakes! Thanks for that gentle spirit I prayed for this morning, Lord! Did I handle it ok? Because I really don't want to have these teaching moments all day long just to make sure I keep that gentle spirit in check!

6 comments:

GramS said...

...and even had time to write a blog!! Wow! Talk about organized.
I learned very early in your little lives that my attitude as you left the house is what my kids will be sent to school with, and I could melt later if I had to. I really tried to send you all off happy.
Enjoyed your experience this AM. I'm off for school now after a 2 hour delay. Love, Mom

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

How funny! It's all about perspective...
Ozzie did that to my cereal once and made a huge mess. What could I do? I took pictures and started singing "Put the flakes in the bowl, in the bowl; Put the flakes in the bowl, in the bowl; Put the flakes in the bowl, and try to leave some whole; Put the flakes in the bowl, in the bowl" (If you sing this to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it..." it makes more sense LOL)

Good job keeping your cool this morning. Way to Go Momma!

liz said...

I remember one time when Mom wasn't home and we were baking or something. Someone (probably me, since I remember this so clearly) spilled a 5-pound bag of sugar on the floor. We were anxiously cleaning it up when Mom came home. She kind of laughed and said, "Wow." and helped us clean. I remember thinking, "I hope I remember to react like that when I have kids..."

And I have, on occasion.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the time we had a water fight in the kitchen when I accidently sprayed one of the boys. He sprayed me back, next thing I knew, all 5 of us were tossing water around in my new, clean kitchen. Big mess? YES!
Fun? Of course. Memories? The best!
Wouldn't trade the laughter of a family enjoying the moment for anything. You did beautifully, Mar! Your little ones will long remember it. (If you tossed the crumbs out in the snow for your feathered friends, they will also remember it....like my frequently burned toast)

LindaSue said...

hmmm..."accidentally" sprayed one of the boys? I seem to remember the kitchen hose next to the sink being AIMED at one of the boys!

Mar, a friend of mine here discovered the WORST mess to clean up is a 2 pound bag of powdered sugar deliberately opened and twirled around the head of a three and five year old while she was in the bathroom!

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that the worst I ever had to clean up was when my oldest decided to clean the bath tub with a whole can of Comet cleanser. Try getting all the grit out of the tub for a nice relaxing bath. Took several days...and I still had to clean the tub. :)