Sunday, December 2, 2007

Pray For Me!

Last night we visited an elderly friend and as we were leaving her apartment building, Fred and I exchanged quick plans for him to run to the store while I took the boys home for baths and bed. Fred helped w/the last carseat buckle and then took off in his van. I stepped out of the side of the van from getting Christopher settled, took one step and tripped over a drainspout that ran off the piller supporting the car port where we were loading up. I stumbled pretty badly, fell off the curb and landed in front of the running van ... my hand breaking the fall. I can still feel the crack as my hand hit the pavement. I jumped into the van, fumbled for my phone, tried to dial it without crying and just said, "Honey, come back quick! I just broke my hand!"

I'll spare you the rest of the details because it's too difficult to type with my hand all bandaged up. Basically, after sitting in the emergency room for only 4.5 hours (I feel blessed with such a short wait!), it was determined that only the fourth finger on my left hand is broken, but the rest is badly cut, scraped and bruised. Thank the Lord 1. that Fred could come back and help me so quickly, 2. that it isn't my right hand, 3. that I only had a short wait in the ER, 4. coming home from the hospital at 1:00am means less traffic on a terribly snowy, white-out-conditioned road, 5. my mother-in-law has offered to help me bake to keep up with our constant flow of cookie orders, 6. that it was only one little bone in one little finger.

Please pray for me as I have to wear this splint for three weeks! I keep forgetting that I can't do everything the same way. Diaper changing is not easy to do with one and a half hands. :) Please also thank the Lord that the fall was not worse!

I probably won't be blogging too much during this time. These paragraphs have taken way too long to type because I have to keep backspacing to correct them. I f you saw how I was rypinfing, you eouldf laugh ast me becuauce i csnt' see what ai'm doinf here! aathat's enoght for todsy! abye by!

6 comments:

GramS said...

Oh, what a tragedy! On the other hand (the good one?) maybe you needed to slow down a bit. I'm thankful the boys were strapped in and not jumping around to dislodge the gearshift lever if you were lying in front of the van. I'm thankful it wasn't an arm or leg in this ambulatory season! I'm thankful for cellphones.
Our prayers will certainly be with you for well-behaved, obedient, helpful boys at least for the next couple of weeks. Love, Mom

Peg Toth said...

"I can do all things through Chist wo strengthens me" What a wonderful verse. I'm sure it will become a favorite during the next few weeks. You'll certainly be in our thoughts and prayers, along with your family. Thank God for mothers in law! Love, A. Peg

liz said...

Oh yuck! Not what you were thinking, I know. I will pray for you and that the next three weeks go quickly. And that it doesn't hurt too much. And that it gets you out of some things you really didn't want to do.

Karen said...

Now you can sit down and just EAT all those cookies you baked...you don't have to make anymore!!!

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

Are you feeling any better yet?

Katie

Martha said...

finger's feeling better byt the typing id still a pain. as you csn see! it takes too long to corret all the mistakes so i just don't even bother. soon, though!! soon i'll be bzck! i midss typing here!