Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Mom Never Sleeps

Last night I was tucking the boys in and I was cuddled up next to Stephen in his bed as we talked about the day. I told him that I was so tired that I would LOVE to be going to sleep with them instead of going back downstairs to finish my work. He cracked me up when he looked at me and so sincerely asked, "Mommy, why don't you ever sleep?" He went on to explain that I am awake when he goes to bed and I'm awake when he wakes up in the morning. When he wakes up overnight, I'm awake (yeah, right!). He never sees me sleep! I admit, I did laugh at him when he was telling me this because it's so true! This is what he sees and he thinks that I don't sleep. I told him that I do sleep, but I don't sleep until I know that he is ok and all the work that I do for him is over for the day. Then I wake up in the morning before him so that I can be ready to take care of him again. Well, he didn't gush all over me and thank me profusely from the bottom of his heart for caring for him or anything, but just the smile on his face was thanks enough for me last night.

Of course, it brought to mind the scripture in Psalms 121:4 where "He that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep." God "keeps" Israel and He doesn't sleep! I "keep" my children, but I still need sleep. :) How comforting that God doesn't! There comes a point in our day when we are completely exhausted and we NEED to sleep, but God doesn't! He keeps on "keeping" for us! That gives me peace so that I can sleep, even when Stephen doesn't see me.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Can you believe that my teens LOVE to go to bed at 7:30 pm? (on weekdays) I don't even HAVE to beg them. I waited for this for way too long.

GramS said...

First thing I thought of was the Proverbs 31 woman...rising before the sun and getting things ready for the da...and her children and husband call her blessed. I'm sure Stephen will think of these things again when he's your age ad remember his Mom always being awake and ready to answer his call.