Thursday, January 24, 2013

Valentine's Day Soup

I know it's a little early for Valentine's Day, but I had to show you our latest favorite soup BEFORE February 14 so that you can try this at home, too!


First, boil a few carrots in your chicken broth until almost tender.  They will be easier to work with if they are still a bit firm, and if you cut them into two halves before you put them into the pot (which I didn't do this time, so do as I say and not as I did).
 
 
Remove them from the broth and allow to cool.  (I was in a hurry so I ran cold water over these until they were comfortable to touch.)
 
 
Cut a small "v" shape down the entire length of the carrot and give that long strip to the kid standing closest to you who is dying to taste the carrot!


Carefully slice the sides of the carrot on an angle to shape the bottom half of your heart.


Slice into pieces thick enough that they won't fall apart when you put them back into the soup.


 
Try not to break any hearts!


Add your remaining soup noodles or other vegetables and serve!


 Dish out the Valentine's Day Soup! 
We always add frozen peas to cool off the hot soup (and --- shhhhhh!--- to add extra veggies).
 
 
 Make sure you hunt out the biggest Valentine carrot ....
 
 
 and save it for last!  
 
Mmmmm-mmmmm-GOOD!
Enjoy!!

3 comments:

heidiannie said...

Now that is just cute!
I wonder if Uncle Frank would appreciate a soup valentine?

Martha said...

You'll never know until you try! (He probably wouldn't even notice, but that's ok. Do it anyway for your small joy, if nothing else.)

Anonymous said...

Very cute! I'm sure your kids love your creativity!