Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Timothy and Zach

The two older boys are participating in the Sunday School's Hidden Treasures Bible verse memorization contest at church.  They have a list of verses that they need to learn in order and word for word.  They have the opportunity to win a trip to our church camp as well as a cash prize, depending on how many verses they learn by the middle of May.

I found out that the youth group had some members that wanted to partner up with some of the Sunday School kids to help them learn their verses this year, so I jumped at the chance to talk to the coordinator to see if Timothy could have a mentor to help him.  I was thrilled when I found out that Zach wanted to work with Timothy (because he thought it would be cool to take Timothy to Tim Horton's to study!) because Timothy needs someone (other than Mommy) to help him learn these verses. 

Tonight was Zach and Timothy's first official night to practice their verses together.  At supper, Timothy was making up songs for his verses so that he could remember them.  I kind of forgot about that, until Zach approached me afterward to fill me in on their evening.  I guess when they first sat down to start reciting, Timothy told Zach that they should sing their verses so that they could remember them.  Zach told Timothy that he wasn't the best singer, but he'd try.  And then Timothy said, "Ok, go!"  Poor Zach didn't know what to do!  It seemed that Timothy wanted him to make up a song for them to learn and Zach just sat there dumbfounded!  I was laughing hysterically as Zach was telling me about this because Timothy was so very sincere about his desire for Zach to start singing and Zach was just totally thrown off guard.  I guess Timothy eventually sang his song for Zach since Zach didn't seem to be able to make up a song off the top of his head like Timothy could and Timothy was satisfied with that.

I know that the two of them will have a great time learning their verses together and who knows,  maybe while Zach is teaching Timothy his Bible verses,  Timothy will be teaching Zach how to ad lib songs!  In the meantime, those verses will be hidden deep in their hearts and a friendship bond will be formed.  Mentoring is a good thing!

3 comments:

Peg Toth said...

I love it! Scripture in song. What better way to ermember them? One of our kids used to make up songs and when I commented that I liked it, he replied, "I'm not done yet. It has a second verse" (Which he sang as we drove home from a 15 mile trip to town).
PS Singing scripture verses is a whole lot easier than singing your arguments...right?

heidiannie said...

I always make up songs to memorize verses. I like to draw little cartoons of the verses as well. I'm not good at memorizing, but if I can find a way to make it more tactile and catchy it is easier!
I'm so glad Timothy and Zach have each other - they will BOTH benefit!

GramS said...

Your sisters sang anatomy songs for biology class to remember the muscles.
I heard a 3rd grader sing all 50 states in alphabetical order the other day.
Singing is one way to remember things.
I love the bible verse songs the best, though. Those keep replaying, and are most needed and useful in life. I love your story.