Saturday, August 27, 2011

Maybe Mothers Shouldn't Multi-Task

Seriously, I'm thinking after today that maybe mothers should NOT try to multi-task.  Well, maybe I should just be speaking to myself.  Ever have one of those days, moms?  (Please agree with me here!)

I may as well just jump right in and tell you why I'm saying this.  No need to beat around the bush (since it burned up at McDonald's anyway.  Hahaha!  Ok.  It's late at night and my humor is lacking.) so I'll just tell you what happened.

This afternoon I decided to freeze corn so I got all my supplies ready, had the water on to boil and started filling the kitchen sink with cold water to stop the blanching once the corn was done.  I couldn't remember how long I was supposed to blanch the corn, so I came over to the computer and looked up pickyourown.org to find out how long I should keep it boiling.  (By the way, this site is really good for telling you where to find pick your own produce as well as telling you how to preserve just about anything!  Check it out sometime, when you're not doing anything else.)

As I was sitting there reading how to freeze corn and getting totally sidetracked by all the pictures and links and suggestions, I remember thinking once that I should turn off the water at the sink.  Being distracted by the discussion on enzymes and blanching, that thought of the water didn't cross my mind again.  In the back of my mind, however, I heard a fountain of sorts, you know, running water in a continuous stream that is quite soothing - uh - when it's out in nature ... but not when you realize that it is coming from your kitchen sink and is now flowing across your kitchen floor!!  Oh boy!  Did I ever jump up fast!  Water was absolutely everywhere!  I've never, ever in my life seen a kitchen sink overflow, but I'll tell you right now, I wish that I could still say that.

Christopher, my little helper, ran to get the mop and did a great job (for an almost five year old) of cleaning it up.  There was way too much water, though, and both of us worked and worked at it to keep the water from going much further.  What a disaster.  What a mess!  All because I was trying to do more than one thing at a time.

And by the way, I never did find out how long I was supposed to blanch the corn because by that point, those cobs had been boiling away for quite some time!  I froze it anyway, so we'll see if it really makes a difference in the long run.

4 comments:

Peg Toth said...

Too funny, Mar. Remember the corn freezing with Grampa and Grandma and the water fight Grandma started with all the grandkids? I almost had a heart attact when I saw my 3 squirting Grandma and Grandpa with a hose, then shouting Well, Mom, Grandma started it!" Love you.

heidiannie said...

I don't think this is about multi-tasking at all! I think it is about the time zone vortex that the internet produces. I have burnt cookies- been late for meetings- and
forgotten to finish meals because I got caught in the vortex.
BEWARE!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it was really a nasty situation for you, but it was hilarious!!!
I love you and really enjoy your blogs.
A.Kath

GramS said...

Finally reading this...yes, it happened to me before, but not to that extent. Why didn't you just call? Oh, well. I loved your story, and I'm sure your corn will be great in mid-winter. It's always good then! But you'll remember the mop and water all over the floor every time you open a bag of corn to eat. :)