Saturday, May 15, 2010

My Husband, the Servant Who Honors



Servanthood that honors, honors others with more servanthood.

This afternoon I have a moment here to write because my husband, the servant, has blessed me with a beautiful act of service this afternoon! His servant responsibilities started last night. He went to his parents to help get his dad ready for bed and then spent the night so that he could help him get up this morning, too. Dad W. has really slowed down in the past few years and it's getting more and more difficult for Mom to care for him physically. Fred was serving/honoring his parents last night with his care for his dad. All the siblings are pitching in, but last night was Fred's opportunity to be there.

He got home late morning and then surprised the boys (and me) by telling them that he was going to take them to the Playland at McDonald's for lunch so that I could have a few hours to myself today. I'm all teary-eyed as I'm writing this because I am touched by the servant-heart that I saw in Fred again today. He knows it's been a rough week on me, and even though he hasn't been home himself for almost a whole day now, he chose to honor me by giving me some quiet time without the activity of the boys here.

I've been able to do a million things this afternoon, it seems. I've mended a puppy who's been losing stuffing for months. Poor Timothy has been asking me almost daily for several weeks if I would fix him. I finally honored him and fixed his puppy ... I even sewed his ear back on that was held in place with a safety pin. I am baking Fred's favorite bread, because it will honor him. I cleaned up the boys' blocks that used to be a garage on the living room floor, because I want to honor them.

Sigh. I must cut this short because I just heard the garage door open and the house will no longer be quiet, but I just want to reiterate the statement at the top of this blog. I can see today that servanthood that honors will honor others with more servanthood. It's a beautiful cycle to be a part of.

4 comments:

a.peg said...

Thanks, Mar, for your blog, and the gentle reminder what we, as children of God need to be! More servants and less of other things we try so hard sometimes to be.

liz said...

I have been thinking about serving lately and how out of character it can be for almost everyone. We also tend to react strongly and negatively if we are treated as a servant. But Jesus said that He came to serve, and this is difficult to follow...

heidiannie said...

Yes. I'm happy enough to serve if it is my own idea, inspired by Christ's example- but DON'T TELL me what to do- I've got to work on that attitude.

GramS said...

Nice reminder for me to be more of a servent to those around me! Thanks, Mar.