Saturday, July 28, 2007

Baking Bravery??


So, Darlene thought that I was brave on Wednesday to bake with three little boys around. I needed to make some cookies and figured that I could whip them up pretty easily. I did, too. I used a great oatmeal cookie recipe that could also be turned into bars and it was quick, easy and everyone loved them.


Since my baking experience went so well on Wednesday, I decided yesterday to attempt a great cinnamon roll recipe from Mom for a shower I was going to today. Yesterday I was not brave. I was nuts! The boys both decided that they wanted to help me so after I made the dough and rolled it out on the counter, I gave Timothy a bowl of cinnamon and sugar to sprinkle on top. He was doing great! He was singing away and jabbering about all the roads he was making with the sugar, etc. etc. I turned my back for ONE moment (you know what's coming! :) and then I heard a thump and a weak, "Uh oh. Sorry, Mommy." I turned around to see almost the whole bowl of cinnamon sugar dumped upside down on the kitchen floor.


Thinking that I would teach a lesson on being responsible for your own actions (blah, blah, blah), I told him to go get the vacuum cleaner and clean up his mess. Why did I think that an almost-three-year-old would think to walk around a pile of spilled cinnamon sugar instead of stepping right through it?! Sigh. Note to self: ALWAYS put yourself in a two year old's mind PRIOR to giving instructions to save everyone a lot of grief! I tried to snatch him up quickly, but I was too late. He had already marched right through it and now had powdery cinnamon and sticky sugar everywhere! I could see his little cinnamon footprints part way across the floor before I could get to him. I still made him vacuum his mess, but I was right behind him with a wet cloth getting everything he missed.


I'm not brave for baking with these guys around. I'm a little crazy for doing it, but at the same time, they love it so how can I deny them?! I want to teach my sons like my mom taught my brother. I want them to be comfortable in the kitchen and to be able to fend for themselves some day. Whenever I start working in the kitchen, Stephen brings his stool up to the counter and asks what "we're" making today.


I'm nuts. I'm crazy. I'm a mom who loves having little helpers get in my way while I'm cooking! The cinnamon rolls turned out great, by the way! Try them ... if you're brave or crazy! :)


GREAT CINNAMON ROLLS

1 pkg yeast

1/2 c. warm water

2 c. warm water

2 c. flour

1 Tbsp. sugar

3 c. flour

3/4 tsp. salt

3/4 tsp. baking soda

6 tsp. baking powder

3/4 c. oil


6 Tbsp. sugar

3 tsp. cinnamon


1 1/2 c. brown sugar

1 c. + 2 Tbsp water

3/4 c. butter

1/3 c. chopped nuts


Dissolve yeast in 1/2 c. warm water. Mix 2 c. water, 2 c. flour and 1 Tbsp sugar into yeast and let set. Mix flour, salt, baking soda and powder, oil and 1 1/2 c. of above mix. Knead well. Roll into rectangle. Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture. Roll into jelly roll ready to slice.


In 9 X 13 pan, mix brown sugar, water, butter and nuts. Put in oven to melt butter while pre-heating oven to 375. Cut dough into 16 pieces and place on top of butter mixture.


Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Turn over on waxed paper and remove pan.


NOTE: I am able to make two batches of dough to add to the liquid ingredients, but found that making two separate batches instead of doubling it all at once works best. Also great without nuts, or with raisins.

No comments: