Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ouch

All I did was cough!  That's it!  Honest.  I coughed a few weeks ago because I had a cold, one of those really bad ones where you cough and cough and cough until you just can't cough any more... and then you cough again.  I think it was one of those 'again' ones that did it to me.

Ouch!

Something really, really hurt in the vacinity of my ribcage!  Within a few hours, I couldn't sit, lie down, laugh, sneeze, or cough!  To be honest, sometimes I could hardly even breathe!  It hurt so very badly! 

No, I haven't seen a doctor.  No, I haven't gone for x-rays.  No, I haven't gone to a chiropractor.  I HAVE taken ibuprofen and I've iced and heat packed it.  I've also "Ouch! Yow! Eech-oochie-oh"-ed my way through all my tasks as well.  That seemed to help the most.  If I could express the pain out loud (mostly when I was alone because, seriously, who wants to hear all your gripes and moans and groans anyway?) then it seemed to be easier to endure. 

Now it's been two full weeks of this and I've had a hard time sleeping because I can't lie on either side, can't lie on my back and for sure I can't lie on my stomach!  I struggle sitting through a day at church because the angle of the pews is just a tad bit off and the pressure is too great.  I can't sit on our couch, recliner or rocking chair.  I also found out that I can't really go skating with a five year old who is still learning to skate!  I can, however, stand and walk with no problems whatsoever!

I've heard that these types of injuries can take a long time to heal.  That's not good, but I am thankful that I'm feeling better now this week.  I still can't sneeze without screaming in pain, but I can at least bend over to help pull on a stuck boot of that same five year old and I can catch a deep breath every once in awhile.  I can sweep my floor again and I can carry the laundry basket upstairs.  I was kind of hoping I'd be able to get out of shoveling the snow because of this, but hey!  We haven't had any snow to shovel  anyway so I'm already getting out of it!

I'm not sure how long this will be a pain in the side for me, but I'm so thankful that it's not worse than it is.  If you think of me, pray that it will heal fast.  It's hard for a mom to be slowed down by things like this!  Oh, and try not to make me laugh or sneeze in the meantime.  Thanks!

1 comment:

heidiannie said...

So sorry to hear of your pain, Martha. It is always harder to deal with pain when you can't take the time to rest and heal- and as a mother of small boys- there is no time.
I will be praying for healing and for the pain to be less. Coughing can cause a lot of trouble within your body.