Thursday, December 22, 2011

One Thousand Gifts

My dear sister-in-law gave me a book for my birthday that is slowly changing my life.  The book, One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp, is one that I probably would not have picked up on my own, simply because I don't really have time to read for pleasure these days.  Oh, am I so thankful for this gift, though!  It is not an easy read for me.  The author's writing style is not one like mine and I found that I had to keep rereading what she wrote because I was never quite sure where her emphasis was intended.  This, however, became a blessing because I was forced to read and reread certain phrases and paragraphs and therefore the truths that she penned became more apparant each time I read them again.

I will not give away the details of the book, but I encourage you to find a copy of this if you have the time to read.  And if you don't have the time to read, I encourage you to find a copy and MAKE the time to read!  Ann Voskamp shares a personal, spiritual journey after accepting a dare from a friend to name one thousand gifts in her life.  As she keeps a running list of her gifts, she is drawn closer and closer to the Lord and discovers that in giving thanks, her eyes are opened to a life of gratitude and to the relationship with God that she has been searching for.

After starting this book, I let a friend of mine borrow my copy because I know that she is going through some difficult life experiences and I felt God wanted me to share this with her.  The two of us remind each other often that it is in thanksgiving that we can fully live in Christ.  Eucharisteo - the Greek word for "he gave thanks", speaking of Jesus when He broke the bread and shared communion with His disciples.  The author refers to this word often, and reinforces the grace, thanksgiving and joy that are entwined in this word eucharisteo.  My book-sharing friend and I are growing in our desire to practice and learn eucharisteo - giving thanks in all things.

This past week has brought some very difficult events into our extended family and there has been both rejoicing and weeping.  There have been fears and sorrows and questions and ... peace... yes, peace in the middle of this gut-wrenching storm.  Throughout this trial of 9 days so far, peace and thankfulness are carrying me through.  My heart is breaking because of the unfolding events, but as I take out my own notebook of One Thousand Gifts, I can list my thanks and my blessings and see that God is good and that He loves me and each one of us who are suffering.  He has given such perfect provision in these circumstances that at times, despite my weeping, I run to my notebook and chronicle yet another "gift". 

Hard eucharisteo, giving thanks when it is difficult, brings joy and peace.  It does not discount sorrow nor shame our emotions, but it reminds us that the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh.  Blessed be the name of the Lord!  God is good, and He loves me.  I am His beloved.  I hold my hands out empty, to be filled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have heard the author on Moody several times and was intrigued by her words. I bought the book and Tom read most of it while we were in PY. We left it there for Ben. I got another copy so Tom can finish it and I can start it. Praying for you and your current struggles. Love you lots! Lilly