Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Kindergarten Mom

Today I got to be Kindergarten Mom. I volunteered in Christopher's class this morning. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed being in a school classroom, but it didn't take me long to remember how thankful I was that I never taught kindergarten! Wow. What a lot of activity in that room today!

I got to work with the rhyming station - helping the kids match rhyming words with pictures. It was exciting to see the ones who got it, and frustrating to work with the ones that didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I know that all comes with time, and those kids will get it eventually, too.

One thing that really shocked me was what I saw during their first nutrition break. I was a bit curious to see what other kids had packed in their lunches because, naturally, I was comparing my kid to the others. I was shocked at how much junk food and convenience food was packed in these little kindies' lunchboxes! Snack packs of meat, cheese, crackers and a mini candy bar, yogurt tubes, Jell-O cups, Twinkie stuff (they're called something else here, but I don't remember because I never buy them), candy, candy and more candy. That's not to say that I don't ever give my kids a fun treat with some of this kind of stuff, but seriously! Some of these little kids had lunchboxes FULL of convenience foods! Not only is it not good for them nutritionally, but think about how expensive that can get, too!

I was also shocked at how much Christopher ate at his first nutrition break. They have two breaks during the day and the kids are supposed to eat half of their lunch during the morning break and half during the afternoon. Christopher ate almost everything during the first break and then asked me if I had anything else in my purse that I could put in his lunchbox for second break! Yikes! I think I'd better pack him a bit more next time. The only problem is that I'm running out of ideas of things to pack. We can't pack anything with any type of nuts, nor are we allowed to send egg-based dishes...no egg sandwiches, egg salad, boiled eggs, etc. It's a school wide policy because of allergies.

Anyone have any suggestions of what to pack in a lunch box for hungry boys? We also have a very 'green' school. We use reusable , recycleable or compostable containers only, and we're asked to keep garbage to a bare minimum. I'd love to hear some suggestions of non-messy, economical and delicious ideas to send in the boys' lunches! Thanks!

After Christmas I get to be Kindergarten Mom and Grade 1 Mom! I'm looking forward to that. I already help out in Stephen's class, but it's mostly on a drop-in basis, or send-work-home-with-Stephen basis. I love being in the kids' school and appreciate the fact that I am getting to know the staff and students and vice versa. What a great way to be involved and to be a part of their lives and to let the staff get to know our family.

I'm also glad that I'm not a kindergarten teacher. Oh, the headaches I would have! On the flip side, I'd also be blessed with hundreds of special little gifts and drawings and tokens of affection. I guess maybe it wouldn't be that bad after all!

6 comments:

GramS said...

What fun! The convenience snacks come to our school, too, and half the time kids can't even open them!
How about packing dried fruits (do you have a dehydrator?) or string cheeses? How about a baggie of dry cereal? Start making pretzel buns and let them chew on those for awhile. That would take a little bit more time to eat. The no nuts, no eggs policy would be hard to plan around!

EasyLunchboxes (Kelly Lester) said...

Hi Martha. So sad you have to write about this because, unfortunately, it's true. So many parents don't have the time, resources, or knowledge to put together nutritious meals for their kids' lunchboxes. I love that you're putting it out there for some healthy suggestions! My company, EasyLunchboxes.com , sells waste-free lunch containers and coolers and we have a fabulous yummy lunch gallery which shows almost 100 different lunch combinations that are sure to please hungry kids and nutrition conscious parents. We also have links on our site to many wonderful resources for healthy and fun lunch-packing. My EasyLunchbox containers are a convenient and affordable way to make healthy "Lunchables" that kids will love.

Anonymous said...

I pack Megan wraps. She LOVES them! I also pack an apple cut up or clementine, preztles, a cookie, a piece of cheese... stuff like that. I've heard of other moms sending quesedillas and chicken nuggets, but she won't eat anything cold that's suppoesed to be hot.
Happy lunches! :)

Jenny

Paula said...

I'm convinced that convenience foods loaded with chemicals are the cause of so many problems at school. Those poor kids are so full of chemicals that their brains can't figure out, it just causes hyperactivity and so many other things. I try to stay away! I pack fruits and veggies (carrots, peppers, etc) along with apples or clementines. Two sandwiches is a must for mine. Banana bread, muffins, or other homemade stuff works. Have they tried hummus? It's a yummy and filling dip for veggies or pita bread. I get so stuck on what to pack for lunches so many times. Happy hunting.

liz said...

Laurel took a bag of popcorn (from a larger bag that we popped probably once a week) every day in 5th grade.

a.peg said...

make your own "granola" or trail mix. Filling, nutritious and yummy as well...then you can do sandwiches or wraps with interesting fillings...minus the eggs. you could even send polichinta sometime with homemade jam. I'm getting hungry just thinking about this...and pretzels, popcorn, carmal corn for a treat....The additives in convenience and processed foods is why I still like to can and freeze whatever I can. I just don't trust the chemicals.....
And helping in school is a good way to keep up with what's being taught to our little ones...I always did that until the kids were in middle school.