Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Becoming A Reader

Stephen is becoming quite a reader! I can't believe how much his reading skills have taken off this past year and how much interest he has in books. Well, I guess I can believe it, because he comes from a family of readers! I was just telling him the other day that I have memories of going to the Doylestown Public Library in the summer and bringing home BAGS full of books that were probably supposed to last us a few weeks, and we'd have them done in a few days. I love the series books, you know like Ramona the Pest and The Boxcar Children and Nancy Drew. I just couldn't get enough of those books!

Today Stephen brought home The Littles Adventures. Usually after school he is begging me to play on the computer or is asking me what he can do. Not today! He came home, had his snack, told me about Mrs. Groulx's (pronounced Grew) jokes and then headed straight for the couch with his new book from the library. All the kids (mine, and the ones we babysit after school) kept coming in and asking him why he didn't want to play with them downstairs, but he was too busy.

I love that he loves to read, but I'm also finding that many books at his level are geared toward girls. I'm open to hearing some suggestions for books that are appropriate for boys at 1st, 2nd or even 3rd grade level. I'm not really into series like "Diary of a Wimpy Kid", but something that has more substance. Any suggestions out there?

6 comments:

LindaSue said...

we are just finishing a series about a Native American girl named Kaya -- the books are great, not just geared towards girls. I also remember The Bobbsey Twins growing up; he may really enjoy them at his age. I have a huge reading list from our History/Science class at co-op. Books that are suggested reading from the Christian family that put together the curriculum. Most don't focus on Christianity, but they are good, solid books. I also have a reading list from our HS curriculum that I can go thru for you....give me a few days, okay?

GramS said...

I love that he loves to read!!
I'll see what our library has as discards and see if I can pull some out for him. Those are keepers, or just pitch when they start falling apart :) You might get a few years out of them.

Anonymous said...

Our girls (grades 1, 2, 3) love the Geronimo Stilton books -- they are chapter books and not girl specific.
Irina

liz said...

Arthur books--or is he beyond them?

a.peg said...

The children's version of the Little House on the Prarie are good books, and if you can ever find the Happy Hollister series he'd love them. Been out of print for ages. Picked up a set about a year ago for Ron's Christmas. Saw another set maybe at Goodwill? about 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Paula said...

Farmer Boy of the Little House Books, Geronimo Stilton (kind of silly, but fun), Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm. My boys also enjoyed the Dragon Slayer's Academy series, The Magic Treehouse books--great for this age, and My Father's Dragon, and all of the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books.